Monday, September 6, 2010

Talk to the Animals

“Are you getting any answers?” the client chuckled as she passed by the laundry room where I was grooming her dog.

I tend to maintain a continuous monologue as I groom, delivering a play-by-play, coaxing, reasoning, cajoling, and chatting away. (But very rarely baby talk. That gives me the creeps. Even when talking to babies.) Often I ask for the dog’s opinion, or ask if she saw where I laid down my comb. You would be surprised at how many dogs totally know where the comb is, but lie and look the other way. This has been my habit for many years, ever since I discovered that it makes for a calmer, more companionable grooming experience. My theory is that normal, friendly tone of voice is relaxing and reassuring for the dogs. My other theory is that it confuses them.

Confusion as the goal was behind my other habit, which I have had to curb somewhat since beginning the in-home grooming. Singing. I am not an especially good singer. I’m not the worst you’ve ever heard either, and you can generally recognize the tune I am warbling at least. I have a high, squeaky, Snow White type voice that went out of fashion in the 1930’s and is totally unsuited to any music written since. I do love music however, and love to sing along. I can’t remember the words particularly well, so one or two bars tend to repeat endlessly, but I have fun. And nothing perplexes a dog more than belting out a few stanzas of Hot Blooded while you are trimming around their eyes. Confusion distracts from their nervousness, boredom, or plain orneriness and allows me to get the job done.

And since it’s nearly impossible to groom and dance...
Artwork trademarked by Christopher Cowley, Windchill Studios

No comments:

Post a Comment