Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Playing Favourites

I have been asked many times which are my favourite dogs to groom. Most of the time the question refers to my breed preference. I have in my career had a chance to groom many purebred and mixed breed dogs, and almost every coat type. I have scissored, plucked, stripped, shaved, clippered, sculpted, thinned, de-bulked, etc. etc. I still haven’t encountered any corded or hairless breeds, but I have a friend who has offered the chance to try her Chinese Crested so I may get there yet.

The question seems simple but has a complex, multi-part answer, dependent on the day and my mood. For example, you would think that all small, smooth-coated breeds would be low effort and easy money, but the thought of a Manchester Terrier or Miniature Pinscher fills me with dread while Pugs and Miniature Smooth Dachshunds are a joy. No offense to any particular breed by the way. My preferences are based purely on my experiences, and yours may have differed completely.

When you factor in that there is not necessarily any correlation between my favourite breeds to groom and my favourite dogs to groom, it becomes very difficult for me to give any kind of straight answer to the question. Over the years I have fallen in love, frequently, deeply and forever. Love, illogical and unconditional, has had nothing to do with my enjoyment of the haircut the dog received but often made those dogs shine in my memory.

The best answer that I can give you is that I like to scissor, and I can fiddle quite happily with a Poodle (especially a Standard) for a considerable time. Curly coated breeds like Poodles, Bichons and their mixes offer a dramatic before and after, and a great deal of satisfaction. It helps that they usually have lovely temperaments, and I have groomed many over the years that I have adored.

However, I remember a Miniature Dachshund named Squirt, and a Yellow Labrador Retriever named Mackenzie who both smiled like you wouldn’t believe, corners of the mouth curling right up in a fabulous grin. I remember two Shih Tzus named Molly, one who rode in a bike basket, topknot streaming in the breeze, the other who refused to pass by the shop door without coming in to say hello. I remember another Shih Tzu named Katie who would rest her chin on my insignificant chest while I put in her pink satin bow. Rookie, a Bouvier mix, the apple of her daddy’s eye. Toby, the enormous Yorkie with the slow kisses. Duchess, Di Di and Dharma. Pixie and Oreo. Susie and Gen Gen. Tramp and Seamus. Nikki and Holly. Kali. Tabitha. Macey. So many more.

I have so many favourites. I fall in love. My heart breaks.
Artwork trademarked by Christopher Cowley, Windchill Studios

No comments:

Post a Comment